Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cambodian Three

My friend recently asked me what three things are on my must-do list for this summer. I was stumped. Other than learning about traditional Khmer theatre practices, experiencing the culture, and traveling the country (no small order for just over two months!), I could only think of one specific must-do! After thinking about it for a few days, I've come up with my Cambodian Three:

1) Visit Banteay Srei
Last year, I visited the phenomenal Angkor Temples in Siem Reap. I was blown away with the magnitude and details of Angkor Wat, the overgrowth of Ta Phrom, and the grown-up jungle gym of Ta Keo. Pressed for time and exhaustion with only one day to see the temples, I didn't see Banteay Srei, set 40 km away from the others. While I had wanted to see Banteay Srei at the time, having heard of its beauty, I didn't feel a loss since we had already seen so much. But since visiting the temples, Banteay Srei is the one I continuously hear about. Many Cambodians still pray there, experienced travelers remark on it, and the Cambodian Association of Illinois has an exterior relief based on Banteay Srei's carvings. This summer, I will see Banteay Srei.

2) Line Dancing on the Streets of Phnom Penh
While wandering the streets of Phnom Pehn, I saw a group of people gathered across from the Royal Palace at dusk. There were three distinct groups, with around 30 people, a boombox, and a leader. Suddenly three simultaneous yet separate line dancing sessions began. I didn't join them then, but I will definitely join them now!

3) Eat a fried tarantula.
KIDDING! But the culinary risk takers among us certainly can, along with snakes, cockroaches, larve, and fire ants. Yum!

3A) Volunteer!
Part of my work with Sovanna Phum will include giving back to the theatre and the community, by tutoring young performers in English, etc. But in Phnom Penh, there are so many ways to contribute to the growth of the culture and individuals. From tutoring kids to help them stay off the streets and see the joy of education, to adults trying to work in the lucrative tourist industry, cleaning up a jungle trail, and of course, sharing the arts, there are infinite possibilities to give back. Stay tuned to see what I discover...

1 comment:

  1. It's a pretty impressive list. I hope you are able to accomplish everything! I love you and am very proud of all you do!

    ReplyDelete