Friday, May 29, 2009

My first puppet!

Today I made my first shadow puppet!

Lakena (pictured with a crocodile), who works at Sovanna Phum making and selling puppets, was my instructor. Today's puppet is simple, a small bird.











For this puppet, the crafting is fairly simple, using basic leather carving tools and techniques. First, the pattern was taped to the leather, then I carved out the lines and shadows as on the pattern. There were a few curved designs that take more finesse with the tools; I certainly improved while making this puppet, and with time I will become even better. After the pattern was completely cut, I painted detailing and contrast lines using a watered down dye. Finally, the bird was attached to a bamboo reed, and viola, a shadow puppet!


















I started a more complicated and bigger gecko, but won't have time to finish it until Monday. Also on the radar for next week, a monkey or human with movable limbs!

2 comments: