For instance, I changed this:
"Got seriously injured, Enthachit went to see his mother for help. Immediately after having been drinking his mother’s milk, he was completely cured and wanted to go back to the battle field. His mother insisted not to let him make war with Rama but he refused. This time at war, he’s disguising himself as Preah Indra (King of Heaven) accompanied by Apsara (Angel Dancers), in order to fool Preah Laks again."To this:
"Seriously injured from the arrow, Enthachit goes to his mother for help. He drinks her milk, and is instantly cured. Enthachit's strength returns, and despite his mother's insistence that he not continue war with Rama, he returns to the battle. Enthachit once again tries to fool Preah Laks, and arrives at the battle field disguised as Preah Indra (King of Heaven), accompanied by Apsara (Angel Dancers)."
Last week I also oversaw the cleaning and re-organization of the Puppet Shop and Gallery. The shop doubles as an office, but I tried to communicate the importance of the shop being inviting from the outside. We cannot control whether audience members buy anything, but we can certainly re-arrange to encourage them to go inside.
With a little encouragement and some fresh ideas on my part, theatre workers made it their own -- they took the idea of change, and ran with it. Soon, every puppet was off the wall, shelves were moved between rooms, a computer desk was moved from a place of prominence to a less central location that is also more conducive to work and playing music. Previously, some of the most impressive puppets and photographs were above the door, or on the adjacent wall. But now they are across from the door, so they can be seen from outside the shop, and have been spruced up with colored lights. The new shop arrangement is both inviting and open, showcasing the products while remaining comfortable, with space to move and a flowy breeze, and artistic, with spray-painted pinecones and leather keychains hanging from the ceiling. I also provided the suggestion to invite our guests to try making a puppet right then and there, for fun, to advertise puppet-making classes they offer, and to remind them that making the shadow puppets is both a skill and an art. So we set out a pattern and tools, crafting a bird that will be the eventual product of a hundred hands.
This week led to a new challenge and excitement. I was asked what other products can be sold in the store to generate increased revenue for the theatre. While many people love the hand made puppets, the theatre staff recognize that not everyone has a purpose or desire to own a puppet, and for some travelers they are too big to carry (who are those crazy people that wouldn't want a puppet?!?!). I made a lengthy list of possible items to show off the leather crafting skills: belts, purses, picture frames, wrist cuffs, brooches. But we decided to start simple, and this week I have been experimenting, with the assistance and artistry of the puppet makers, with jewelry design. I went to the market to buy ear wires, necklace chains, and spray enamel to protect the leather. Through trial and error, in just a few days, we have generated a line of earrings and necklaces that will go on sale at tonight's performance, and will be showcased in the US upon my return! It's been very exciting, all my American friends here want to buy them (or learn to make them!), and I can't wait to see the audience's reaction.
At the same time, we have been developing greeting cards with leather designs on front. Not being able to find good quality blank cards in the market, I bought paper, printed it with the theatre's name, and have been hand-cutting cards, explaining to my Cambodian friends why we add a blank white paper to the inside (the cards are marbelized yellow, and the white section is for writing). The puppet makers, meanwhile, have been doing their thing and producing beautiful, intricate designs, ranging from lotus flowers and birds, to heads of Ramayana characters.
Like with re-organizing the shop, it's wonderful to see that, with a little encouragement and a little push, they have made the projects their own. This morning, I looked around and while I was attaching ear wires to earrings, four artisans were carving out different designs. They are very excited to continue with both the jewelry (utilizing scraps of leather from the puppets, making it almost no cost to them by using what would otherwise go in the garbage) and cards (Lakena already had the idea to make animal designs based on the Chinese Zodiac for use as birthday cards).
What new adventure is in store for next week? Perhaps we will experiment with color on the jewelry, or making picture frames? I have the weekend to think about it, and will report back with updates!
No comments:
Post a Comment