The day started with a trip to the market. I accompanied Chivy (the mom) and her friend to the local market, selling everything from fruits and vegetables, to sides of beef and freshly made noodles, all arranged in a chaotic yet organized manner (and that's just on the outside -- the inside boasts everything you'll ever need, like Target has exploded). Being a Sunday morning, the market was absolutely packed, as that is when the best and freshest choices of the week arrive. Watching my every step, I carefully followed my hosts through the market, taking it all in and being a crazy tourist with my camera at every junction. We bought about 7 bags of fresh food, which I thought I would be holding on the moto (moped-like motorcycles, the preferred method of transport in much of Indochina...and yes, I have a helmet) ride back. As it was, there were already three of us sitting on one bike and only a small basket in the front. But somehow, the food all fit into the basket, and by the driver's feet (there's a small foot pad there, which is the perfect size for anything small...food, a backpack, children, chicken).
When we returned home, party preparation was in full swing! Curry ingredients were being mixed with mortar and pestle, pots of deliciousness were heating on the stove, and balloons were being strung all over the driveway. I helped with the balloons, and allowed myself to be fed whenever offered, or about every 20 minutes (something I have learned that Asians have in common with Jews -- always giving you more and more food).
I had just stepped into my room to rest for a minute, when a knock at the door alerted me that the family was going to the Pagoda - would I like to go with? Of course! I have been to many Buddhist temples (often called Wats or Pagodas), but never with a family as part of a celebration (something I never had the chance to do in Singapore)! We drove to the Pagoda (my first time in a car in a week!), and went into a small room with a beautiful alter of Buddha statues, incense, and offerings to the monks. There were a few monks in the room, who greeted us and blessed the children (Felix and Nichola were there, as well as Sina and Chivy's two young nieces). The grandmother handed everyone a stick of incense, and I was honored when she gave me one as well, to leave as an offering to the monks. Going with the family to such a special occassion reaffirmed my fortune at being able to experience Cambodia's beautiful culture, and reminded me of the beauties of living with a family. Sure, a home-stay requires more compromises and adjustments than living in a nice apartment with other foreigners, but the rewards are incomparable.
Early in the afternoon, we sat down on the floor in the living room, to a wonderful feast with two kinds of noodles, fresh vegetables (yay!), curries, fruit, and of course, cake. There were two cakes, one for each boy, each decorated with the animal of the boy's Chinese zodiac. Felix, born last year, is a rat, and Nichola is a monkey. I'd like to see my cake with an ox....not as cuddly an animal :-) The cakes were surprisingly delicious (most cakes and pastries I've had in SE Asia are nothing compared to our American counterparts), and the birthday boys were happy.
It was a great day of celebrating, feasting, and getting to know the family. I met the French woman who lives upstairs and works at an NGO archiving Cambodia. I met Chivy's fire-cracker sister-in-law who offered for me to stay in one of the three extra bedrooms in her air-conditioned house. And of course, I played with the kids! Happy Birthday Felix and Nichola!
Yay! Thanks for the update, and glad you're having such a good time. Bonus points for such fun pictures. -Rebecca
ReplyDelete